Based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, Splashbacks of Distinction have a real passion for toughened glass in and around the home. We have transformed many properties, both commercial and domestic with our glass splashbacks, for kitchens, bathrooms and living rooms. Our toughened glass balustrades, glass shelving and splashbacks with high resolution images have really caught the imagination of people who demand beauty and functionality in their homes and offices.
Chesham is a lovely market town set in the Chiltern Hills, Buckinghamshire. It is located eleven miles south-east of the county town of Aylesbury. Chesham is also a civil parish designated a town council within Chiltern district. It is situated in the Chess Valley and surrounded by open farmland, as well as being bordered on one side by Amersham and Chesham Bois. The earliest records of Chesham as a settlement are from the second half of the 10th century although there is archaeological evidence of people in the Chesham area from around 8000 BC. Henry III granted Chesham a royal charter for a weekly market in 1257.
There is significant archaeological evidence of the earliest settlement during the Late Mesolithic period around 5000 BC in East Street, Chesham where a large discovery of flint tools was made. Chesham also boasts evidence of the earliest farming evidence from the Neolithic era around 2500 BC. Bronze Age tribes settled in the Chesham valley around 1800 BC and they were succeeded by Iron Age Belgic people of the Catuvellauni tribe around 500 BC. Between 150 and 400 AD, there is evidence of Romano-British farming, and nearby at Latimer, there is archaeological evidence of a Roman villa and the planting of grapevines. However, the area in and around Chesham was then deserted until the Saxon period around the 7th century.
Many people believe that Chesham takes its name from the nearby river, but it is actually the river that takes its name from the town. The first recorded reference to Chesham is under the Old English name Caestaeleshamm, meaning 'the river-meadow at the pile of stones' around 970 in the will of Lady AElfgifu, who has been identified with the former wife of King Eadwig. She held an estate in Chesham which she left to Abingdon Abbey in her will.
Prior to the Norman Conquest of 1066 there were three adjacent estates which comprised Caestreham which are also recorded in the Domesday Book. The most important of these manors was held by Queen Edith, the widow of King Edward the Confessor. Other land having been returned to the Crown it was in the hands of Harold Godwinson and his brother Leofwine Godwinson. Part of these later became Chesham Bois parish. After 1066 Edith kept her lands and the triumphant new ruler, William the Conqueror divided royal lands between his half brother Odo, Bishop of Bayeux and Hugh de Bolbec.
The Domesday Book records that there were three manors in Cestreham, now Chesham and one at nearby Latimer. William the Conqueror shared out the estates between four of his dependants. The vast majority of Chesham land was granted to Hugh de Bolebec and smaller amounts of land went to Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, Toustain Mantel and Alsi.
Before the 13th century, the three Chesham manors were known as Chesham Higham, Chesham Bury and Chesham Bois. In the 14th century they were first recorded as 'the manors of Great Chesham'. Collectively they extended beyond the current Chesham town boundary. Together with the manor at Latimer they were held by the Earls of Oxford and Surrey. During the 16th century Greater Chesham was owned by the Seymour family who disposed of it to the Cavendish family who were the Earls and later Dukes of Devonshire. It is from the 15th century that the earliest surviving properties survive and are to be found close by the church in an area called the Nap, and along part of the present-day Church Street. Though gradually disposing of land the Cavendish's maintained an influence in the town until the 19th century. The Lowndes family started purchasing land from the 16th century. William Lowndes was an influential politician and Secretary to the Treasury during the reigns of Mary II, William III and Queen Anne. He rebuilt the original Bury and manor house of Great Chesham in 1712. The Lowndes family settled in Chesham and over the next 200 years became equally influential both nationally through politics and the law and locally within the town as its principal benefactors.
There appears to be no evidence remaining of any church in Chesham prior to the Norman Conquest. However, the presence of puddingstones beneath the present-day church suggests a wooden church was constructed on the site during the Anglo-Saxon period. During the 12th century two families of Norman descent, the de Bolebecs and the Sifrewasts, each held a share of the advowson assigned to the adjacent manors of Chesham Higham and Chesham Bury respectively for the Church at Chesham which it is evidenced from about 1154 was dedicated to St Mary. An advowson in ecclesiastical law is the right to recommend a member of the Anglican clergy for a vacant benefice, or to make such an appointment. These moieties were subsequently given by the families to two monasteries. In 1194 the de Bolbecs bestowed their advowson to the abbot and monks of Woburn Abbey and henceforth the parish of Chesham Higham was renamed 'Chesham Woburn'. Meanwhile, and sometime before 1199, the Sifrewast family granted their advowson to the convent of St Mary's de Pre Leicester. As a consequence the advowson for the parish of Chesham Bury became known as 'Chesham Leicester'.
In 1536 Henry VIII seized control of church property as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Subsequently, during Edward VI and Elizabeth I's reigns, first Chesham Woburn and then Chesham Leicester advowsons became part of the estates of the Dukes of Bedford. Though there were originally two vicars appointed to the parish church of St Mary's, from the 17th century a single incumbent was appointed. Jurisdiction was still shared between both advowsons and two parsonages, an 'upper' and 'lower', continued to be maintained until the 18th century when both were superseded by a single new parsonage. The Duke of Bedford subsequently consolidated the moieties by Act of Parliament in 1767. To accommodate the increasing population of Chesham during the 19th century, a new parish church was built in 1867; Christ Church at Waterside, and further churches were built at Ashley Green and Bellingdon, which were at the time both within the civil parish of Chesham.
Splashbacks of Distinction are a friendly family run business who have been manufacturing, supplying and fitting toughened glass splashbacks, shower enclosures and glass shelves for a number of years now. Our reputation is everything to us and that is why we always go that extra mile for our long list of clients.
A top quality glass splashback will really stand the test of time and remain looking pristine for years to come. They are hygienically clean and so easy to keep that way with a quick wipe with a damp cloth and a mild detergent.
Splashbacks of Distinction supply and install the very finest glass splashbacks and other related toughened glass products. Why not have a look at some of the colours that are available on our buy online page or on the RAL colour page of this website.
Splashbacks of Distinction are available to visit your Chesham home to measure up and fit a quality glass splashback or one of our other toughened glass products. Glass is such a clean and modern medium for your home and you'd be surprised just how much glass can transform your home.
Splashbacks of Distinction ensure that only the finest quality toughened glass is used in all our products. We guarantee all of our work and are fully insured. We employ only trained and certified engineers. Splashbacks of Distinction never leave your property without ensuring you are totally satisfied with your beautiful new glass splashback, baluster, shelving or shower enclosure.
If you would like to know more or are interested in a quote we would be happy to help. Phone us on 01920 830 084, email us at email@example.com or fill in our enquiry form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.
Splashbacks of Distinction is the trading name of RDC Glass Ltd