Please wait

Menu

Call us today on

01920 830 084

Call us today on 01920 830 084

WE ARE OPEN FOR BUSINESS | CORONAVIRUS SAFETY POLICY

WE ARE OPEN FOR BUSINESS | CORONAVIRUS SAFETY POLICY

WE ARE OPEN FOR BUSINESS | CORONAVIRUS SAFETY POLICY

WE ARE OPEN FOR BUSINESS

CORONAVIRUS SAFETY POLICY

Home

Kitchens

Bathrooms

Lifestyle

Areas we cover

Areas we cover in London

4000

4000

FADE

BOTTOM CENTER

1

0

0

0

auto

0

No

0

No

0

0

0

0

0

No

0

Kitchen splashback dulux tarragon from splashbacks of distinction
Kitchen splashback in black
Glass balustrade garden
Kitchen splashback glitter finish
Kitchen glass splashbacks abstract waves from splashbacks of distinction
Kitchen splashback in stone effect
select image 1
select image 1
select image 1
select image 2
select image 2
select image 2
select image 3
select image 3
select image 3
select image 4
select image 4
select image 4
select image 5
select image 5
select image 5
select image 6
select image 6
select image 6

Glass Splashbacks | Kitchen Splashbacks | Bathroom Splashbacks | Glass Balustrades | Uxbridge, London

Based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, Splashbacks of Distinction have a real passion for toughened glass in and around the home. We have transformed many properties, both commercial and domestic with our glass splashbacks, for kitchens, bathrooms and living rooms. Our toughened glass balustrades, glass shelving and splashbacks with high resolution images have really caught the imagination of people who demand beauty and functionality in their homes and offices.

Glass splashbacks in Uxbridge

Splashbacks of Distinction are a family run, professional business that is based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire. We cover a wide area, supplying and fitting many different types of glass products and offer many premium glass related services.

Splashbacks of Distinction are happy to visit your Uxbridge property to discuss any glass project you may have. We can help with advice, supply and fitting of your new glass splashback or other glass products.

A little about Uxbridge

Archaeologists have found Bronze Age remains at Uxbridge and medieval remains during the construction of The Chimes shopping centre. Upper Palaeolithic remains have also been found. Uxbridge is not mentioned in the Domesday Book of the 11th century, but a hundred years later the existing church, St Margarets, was built. The town appears in records from 1107 as Woxbrigge, and became part of the Elthorne Hundred with other settlements in the area.

The Parliamentary Army garrisoned the town upon the outbreak of the English Civil War in 1642 and established their headquarters there in 1647 on a line from Staines to Watford, although the king passed through Uxbridge in April 1646, resting at the Red Lion public house for several hours. Charles I met with representatives of Parliament at the Crown Inn in Uxbridge in 1645, but negotiations for the end of hostilities were unsuccessful due in part to the king's stubborn attitude. The town had been chosen as it was located between the Royal headquarters at Oxford and the Parliamentary stronghold of London.

The covered market was built in 1788, replacing a building constructed in 1561. In the early 19th century, Uxbridge had a bad reputation for crime, with tales of street muggings being commonplace.

The Grand Junction Canal opened in 1794, linking Uxbridge with Birmingham. By 1800 Uxbridge had become one of the most important market towns in Middlesex, helped by its status as the first stopping point for stagecoaches travelling from London to Oxford. The development of Uxbridge declined after the opening of the Great Western Railway in 1838, which passed through West Drayton. A branch line to Uxbridge was not built until 1904.

Harmans Brewery was established in Uxbridge by George Harman in 1763, and moved into its new headquarters in Uxbridge High Street in 1875. The eventual owners of the brewery, Courage, closed the headquarters in 1964. It was demolished and replaced by a Budgens supermarket, which in turn was demolished with the construction of The Chimes shopping centre. The brewery building in George Street remained in place until it was demolished in 1967. The office building Harman House was built on the site in 1985 and was named after the brewery.

Urban development in Uxbridge

The main enclosures effected in the parish of Hillingdon, by statute in 1819, saw the reduction of Uxbridge Common, which at its largest had been four miles in circumference. It originally straddled Park Road, north of the town centre, but now covers fifteen acres.

In 1871 Uxbridge had its first purpose-built police station built in Windsor Street. The building included three cells and stables. The Metropolitan Police continued to use the building until 1988, when operations moved to a new site in Harefield Road. The building subsequently became the Old Bill public house in 1996, renamed the Fig Tree in 2006.

In the early 1900s the Uxbridge and District Electricity Supply Company had been established a power station in Waterloo Road, and much of the town was connected by 1902, although some houses still had gas lighting in 1912. A water tower on Uxbridge Common was built in 1906, resembling a church tower, to improve the supply to the town.

A little piece of Uxbridge goes to America

Wood panelling from a room in the Crown and Treaty public house was sold in 1924 to an American businessman, who installed it in his office in the Empire State Building in New York. It was returned in 1953 as a gift to the newly crowned Queen Elizabeth II and returned to the house, although the monarch retained ownership.

An Art Deco lido for Uxbridge

On 31 August 1935 Uxbridge Lido, an outdoor swimming pool built in the "Moderne" or Art Deco style, was officially opened. Before the opening, many residents swam in a section of the Frays River near Harefield Road, and the Colne. The pool, pavilion building, entrance building and both fountains were designated Grade II listed buildings in 1998. Despite the listing, the pool was closed to the public and the buildings became subject to heavy vandalism. Uxbridge open-air pool was fully refurbished during 2009 and re-opened in May 2010. Added to the site, now named Hillingdon Sports and Leisure Complex, is a fifty metre indoor competition pool, a leisure pool, a large gymnasium with one hundred stations, a wide range of exercise classes, an athletics stadium and track, 3G floodlit pitches, a sports hall, a cafe and a creche. The Grade II listed buildings are still standing.

HMS Intrepid and Uxbridge

During the Second World War Uxbridge adopted the Royal Navy destroyer HMS Intrepid in 1942, to help towards the ship's costs; Intrepid was lost to enemy action the following year. The town and surrounding areas suffered bombing by the Luftwaffe. V1 flying bombs fell on Uxbridge between June 1944 and March 1945. The first recorded bombing using a V1 was on 22 June 1944, when the bomb passed over the top of a bus and hit four houses nearby. Seven people were killed and twenty five injured, leaving forty six houses in the area uninhabitable. In all the Uxbridge Urban District suffered seventy nine civilian deaths through enemy action in the war.

Uxbridge bids farewell to its plant nursery

In 1958 the 199-acre Lowe & Shawyer plant nursery to the west of RAF Uxbridge entered voluntary liquidation. The nursery had stood in Kingston Lane since 1868, and was the largest producer of cut flowers in the country. Demolition work began in 1962, and the construction of Brunel University commenced. Chrysanthemums are included the coat of arms of the Borough of Uxbridge in memory of the nursery. The Uxbridge railway branch line, which partly ran alongside the site, was closed in 1964 and in 1966 the university opened, purchasing the land where the railway had run from the local council for £65,000.

Further development for Uxbridge

The Uxbridge Cricket Club moved from Cricketfield Road in 1971 to make way for the new Civic Centre. The club had been at Cricketfield Road since 1858, but moved to a new site on part of Uxbridge Common on Park Road.

The Market Square shopping precinct in Uxbridge town centre was built in the late 1970s, but its lack of shelter made it unpopular and it did not attract the expected levels of custom. Many buildings along the High Street and Windsor Street had been demolished to make way for the new precinct, which was eventually sold to the Prudential Assurance Company and redeveloped with a roof in the early 1980s to become the Pavilions Shopping Centre. The Peacock public house, which became the Chequers in one of the two main squares, was built partially underground having two flights of steps down into the pub at either end. It was demolished and replaced with a cafe named also named The Chequers, which remains to this day. Rayner's pharmacy shop was also demolished during the Market Square development, although the shop front was saved by the Museum of London and is held in storage.

The Chimes shopping centre was built beside Uxbridge station in 2001, incorporating many of the existing buildings into the new structure. The centre was originally to be named St George's Centre in plans dating back to the early 1990s, though this name was eventually taken by another shopping centre in Harrow. Instead, The Chimes was said to refer to the sound of the bells from the nearby market house on the High Street. An Odeon cinema opened as a major part of the centre, with the smaller cinema at the opposite end of the High Street closing. Preserved timber from earlier demolished buildings in Uxbridge was used in the construction of a new building beside the former offices of Fassnidge, designed to resemble a much older structure.

Splashbacks of Distinction supply the following splashback products in Uxbridge, London

  • Glass kitchen splashbacks
  • Glass kitchen splashback samples
  • Glass kitchen splashbacks in many different colours
  • Printed glass splashbacks
  • Colour matched splashbacks
  • Painted splashbacks

Splashbacks of Distinction also supply the following glass products in Uxbridge, London

  • Stainless steel and glass Balustrades
  • Glass shelves
  • Coloured mirrors
  • Toughened mirrors
  • Decorative glass
  • Glass hardware
  • Glass worktops
  • Glass shower cubicle
  • Garden glass balustrades
  • Glass staircases
  • Glass table tops
  • Satin glass
  • Toughened glass
  • Laminated glass
  • Opaque glass

Splashbacks of Distinction also supply the following glass related services in Uxbridge, London

  • Glass cut to size
  • Mirrors cut to size while you wait
  • Glass processing
  • Glass supply and installation
  • Supply only splashbacks
  • A glass express service
  • Template and fit

Only the finest quality from Splashbacks of Distinction

Splashbacks of Distinction ensure that only the finest quality toughened glass is used in all our products. We guarantee all of our work and are fully insured. We employ only trained and certified engineers. Splashbacks of Distinction never leave your property without ensuring you are totally satisfied with your beautiful new glass splashback, baluster, shelving or shower enclosure.

Further Information

If you would like to know more or are interested in a quote we would be happy to help. Phone us on 01920 830 084, email us at enquiries@splashbacksofdistinction.co.uk or fill in our enquiry form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.

Areas covered in London:

Showroom: Unit 11, Broomhall Farm, Watton At Stone, Hertford SG14 2RN

t: 01920 830 084

© 2024 Splashbacks of Distinction