Based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, Splashbacks of Distinction have a real passion for toughened glass in and around the home. We have transformed many properties, both commercial and domestic with our glass splashbacks, for kitchens, bathrooms and living rooms. Our toughened glass balustrades, glass shelving and splashbacks with high resolution images have really caught the imagination of people who demand beauty and functionality in their homes and offices.
Splashbacks of Distinction are a family run, professional business that is based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire. We cover a wide area, supplying and fitting many different types of glass products and offer many premium glass related services.
Splashbacks of Distinction are happy to visit your Blackheath property to discuss any glass project you may have. We can help with advice, supply and fitting of your new glass splashback or other glass products.
The name of Blackheath is recorded in 1166 as Blachehedfeld and means the dark coloured heath land. It is formed from Old English and refers to the open space that was the meeting place of the ancient hundred of Blackheath. The name was later applied to the Victorian suburb that developed in the 19th century and was extended to the areas known as Blackheath Park and Blackheath Vale.
There is an urban myth that suggests Blackheath was associated with the 1665 Plague or the Black Death of the mid 14th century. The idea that Blackheath got its name from its use as a burial pit goes all the way back to the medieval period, when it was almost certainly used for the disposal of the dead during the Black Death. Virtually every part of London has a local tradition about plague pits under various buildings or areas , as it was common practice to bury people in mass graves when so many were dying. Local churchyards very quickly became unable to cope with the amount of dead requiring burial.
During the seventeenth century Blackheath was, along with Hounslow Heath, a common assembly point for English Armies. In 1673 the Blackheath Army was assembled under Marshal Schomberg to serve in the Third Anglo-Dutch War.
The area was upland, open space that was the meeting place of the hundred of Blackheath. In south and western England, a hundred was the division of a shire for military and judicial purposes under the common law, which could have varying extent of common feudal ownership, from complete suzerainty, meaning a position of control by a sovereign or state over another state that is internally autonomous, to minor royal or ecclesiastical prerogatives and rights of ownership.
By 1848 Blackheath was noted as a place with two dependent chapels under Lewisham vestry and another, St Michael and All Angels, erected in 1828 to 1830 and designed by George Smith. The latter made use of £4000 plus land from land developer John Cator, plus a further £11,000 from elsewhere. The name of Blackheath gained independent official boundaries by the founding of an Anglican parish in 1854, then others in 1859, 1883 and 1886, which reflected considerable housing built on nearby land. In local government, Blackheath never saw independence; at first split between the Lewisham, Lee, Charlton and Greenwich vestries or civil parish councils and Kidbrooke liberty, which assembled into Greenwich, Plumstead and Lewisham Districts then re-assembled with others into Greenwich and Lewisham metropolitan boroughs in 1900.[
A key Celtic track way, that later became a Roman road and later still, Watling Street scaled the rise that is shared with Greenwich Park and a peak one mile east-by-southeast, Shooters Hill. In the west this traversed the mouth of Deptford Creek, which is part of the River Ravensbourne. Other finds can be linked to passing trade connected with royal palaces. In 1710, several Roman urns were uncovered in Blackheath, two of which were of fine red clay, one of a spherical, and the other of a cylindrical, form; and in 1803, several more were discovered in the gardens of the Earl of Dartmouth and given to the British Museum.
Various monarchs passed through Blackheath and their senior courtiers kept residences there and in Greenwich. Before the Tudor-built Greenwich Palace and Stuart-built Queen's House, one of the most frequently used was Eltham Palace, which is just a couple of miles to the southeast of the ridge, under the late Plantagenet's, before it ceased being a royal residence in the 16th century.
On the north side of the Blackheath, there is Ranger's House, a medium-sized red brick Georgian mansion in the Palladian style, which backs directly onto Greenwich Park. Associated with the Ranger of Greenwich Park, a royal appointment, the house was the Ranger's official residence for most of the 19th century. Since 2002, Ranger's House has housed the Wernher Collection of art.
Blackheath was a well known rallying point for Wat Tyler's Peasants' Revolt of 1381 and for Jack Cade's Kentish rebellion in 1450. Both of these historical events are commemorated with road names on the west side of the Blackheath. After camping at Blackheath, Cornish rebels were defeated at the foot of the west slope in the Battle of Deptford Bridge on 17 June 1497; some historians refer to the fighting as the Battle of Blackheath.
In 1400, Henry IV of England met with Byzantine Emperor Manuel II Palaiologos at Blackheath. The Emperor sought favour with western royalty to seek support to oppose the Ottoman Sultan. In 1415, the lord mayor and aldermen of London, in their robes of state, attended by four hundred of the principal citizens, clothed in scarlet, came to Blackheath in procession to meet Henry V of England on his triumphant return from the Battle of Agincourt.
Blackheath was, along with Hounslow Heath, a common assembly point for army forces, such as in 1673 when the Blackheath Army was assembled under Marshal Schomberg to serve in the Third Anglo-Dutch War. In 1709-10, army tents were set up on Blackheath to house a large part of the 15,000 German refugees from the Palatinate and other regions who fled to England, most of whom subsequently settled in America or Ireland.
With Watling Street carrying stagecoaches across Blackheath, en route to north Kent and the Channel ports, it was also a notorious haunt of highwaymen during the 17th and 18th centuries. Blackheath was reputed to have many gibbets, where the skeletons and rotting bodies of criminals were left hanging for the birds to pick at. In 1909 Blackheath had a local branch of the London Society for Women's Suffrage.
In 1608, it is believed that Blackheath was the place where golf was first introduced to England, The Royal Blackheath Golf Club, which is based in nearby Eltham, was one of the first golf associations, and was established in 1766. Blackheath also gave its name to the first hockey club, established during the mid 19th century.
Splashbacks of Distinction ensure that only the finest quality toughened glass is used in all our products. We guarantee all of our work and are fully insured. We employ only trained and certified engineers. Splashbacks of Distinction never leave your property without ensuring you are totally satisfied with your beautiful new glass splashback, baluster, shelving or shower enclosure.
If you would like to know more or are interested in a quote we would be happy to help. Phone us on 01920 830 084, email us at email@example.com or fill in our enquiry form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.
Splashbacks of Distinction is the trading name of RDC Glass Ltd