Based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, Splashbacks of Distinction have a real passion for toughened glass in and around the home. We have transformed many properties, both commercial and domestic with our glass splashbacks, for kitchens, bathrooms and living rooms. Our toughened glass balustrades, glass shelving and splashbacks with high resolution images have really caught the imagination of people who demand beauty and functionality in their homes and offices.
Splashbacks of Distinction are a family run, professional business that is based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire. We cover a wide area, supplying and fitting many different types of glass products and offer many premium glass related services.
Splashbacks of Distinction are happy to visit your Hackney property to discuss any glass project you may have. We can help with advice, supply and fitting of your new glass splashback or other glass products.
During the 13th century the name of the town appears as Hackenaye or Hacquenye. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Place Names discusses the origin of the name. The first surviving records of the place name are as Hakney in 1231 and Hakeneye in 1242. The ey suffix almost certainly refers to an island.
It is highly likely that Hackney means Hakas Island, with Haka being a notable local person and the island lying close to the River Lea. This was once a much wilder place than it is today.
The place name will have originally referred to just the island or possibly both the island and the manor of the same name based around it. Subsequently, the name Hackney was applied to the whole ancient parish of Hackney.
At one time most of the area was covered with open oak and hazel woodlands, with marshland around the rivers and brooks that crossed the area. In Roman times and for a long time after, the River Lea was an estuary, tidal as far as Hackney Wick. Here is where the Hackney Brook met the Lea; the confluence was very wide when flooded.
Pre-Roman times in Hackney presented the area as a mostly low-lying location in proximity to two rivers, the Lea and the Hackney Brook. This would have made the area attractive for pastoral and arable agriculture, meaning most of the area is likely to have been deforested at a very early date. There is much archaeological evidence for settlement and agriculture dating as far back as the Stone Age.
During the late Iron Age, the Hackney area was part of the territory of the powerful Catuvellauni tribe.
There would have been a network of minor, local roads in Hackney before the Romans conquered southern Britain after 43AD, but the area's proximity to the provincial capital, Londinium, meant that it was soon crossed by two large long-distance routes. The first was Ermine Street, which emerged from Bishopsgate and headed north to Lincoln and York. The second was a route which branched off Ermine Street just outside Bishopsgate and headed across Hackney, across the Dalston, Hackney Central and Lower Clapton areas to cross to the Lea on its way to Great Dunmow in Essex. This crossing appears to have crossed the Lea south of the Bridge at Mandeville Street near Millfields Road. Three Roman sarcophagus burials have been found, two of stone and one of marble. These, particularly the marble example indicate a high-status settlement of some sort, possibly a Roman Governor and his family. The stone examples had a coin hoard found nearby.
The area around Millfields Park, Lower Clapton is sometimes described as the site of a battle in which Aescwine, having rebelled against Octa, King of Kent, defeats him in battle and became the first King of Essex. The ford over the Lea neighbouring Leyton is referred to in the accounts of the battle. Historical records describing this period are rather sparse, so the historical accuracy of the battle and even Aescwine himself is still disputed to this day.
The place name Hackney is Old English, so was probably first applied during the Anglo-Saxon era.
Hackney was part of the territory of the Middle Saxons, a people who seem to have formed a province of the East Saxons, albeit not part of their core territory. The area was a part of the huge manor of Stepney, an area owned by the Bishop of London, and its great size and proximity to the City means it may have been part of the grant of land made when the Diocese of London, was re-established in 604 AD.
Later, the Middle and East Saxon area would become subject to various other Kingdoms, culminating in Wessex as it led to a long process to unite England as it rolled back the partial Viking conquest of the country. A coin of Egbert of Wessex was found on Stamford Hill. The Kings of Wessex divided their kingdom into shires, with Hackney becoming part of the shire of Middlesex, an area named after the Middle Saxons.
After their victory at the Battle of Hastings, the Normans needed to secure London. To this end, they burned Southwark, crossed the river upstream and harried much of Middlesex and Hertfordshire. The Manor of Stepney was less badly hit than much of the rest of Middlesex, though the area along Ermine Street, in Hackney, is believed to have been badly affected.
The Domesday Book of 1086 covered England at manorial level, so Hackney is only assessed as part of Manor of Stepney, of which it was a sub-manor. The landscape at this time was largely agricultural; Domesday returns for Middlesex indicate that it was around 30% wooded, about double the English average at that time. Hackney would have had a lower proportion than the county as a whole, consisting of mostly lower land, close to rivers that made it more attractive for farming. The proportion of woodland in England decreased rapidly between the Norman Conquest and the time of the Black Death due to the pressure of a rapidly increasing population, and the same pressures would have been experienced in Hackney.
From the Tudor period onwards, the various settlements in Hackney grew as wealthy Londoners moved to what they saw as a pleasant rural alternative to living in London; but which was, nonetheless close to the capital. Not a great deal has changed in this respect, as many still choose to live on the outskirts of London and commute in for work purposes today.
A number of royal courtiers lived in Homerton, while Henry VIII had a palace at Brooke House, Upper Clapton, where Queen Mary took the Oath of Supremacy. Sutton House, the oldest surviving residential building in the district of Hackney was built in 1535.
Splashbacks of Distinction ensure that only the finest quality toughened glass is used in all our products. We guarantee all of our work and are fully insured. We employ only trained and certified engineers. Splashbacks of Distinction never leave your property without ensuring you are totally satisfied with your beautiful new glass splashback, baluster, shelving or shower enclosure.
If you would like to know more or are interested in a quote we would be happy to help. Phone us on 01920 830 084, email us at email@example.com or fill in our enquiry form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.
Splashbacks of Distinction is the trading name of RDC Glass Ltd